Sunday 2 September 2007

Touch the Sky and hit the ground


Another exciting outdoor adventure was waiting for Ragna and me.
Incredible India made it once more to the top of our list even though I had sworn to visit Nepal before I get back to India's part of the Himalaya.

The reason Ragna and I ended up again between Dhal and Chappatis was the Monsoon season. Mid of August in front of the main Himalayan Range in Nepal is not a good idea. The clouds don't allow much of a view and
torrent rains and floods can make a lot of treks rather dangerous.


So we decided to trek in Ladakh. This part of northwestern India lies behind the main Himalayan range and is normally dry like sand.

One reason for me to be content with this part of India so soon again was that the high altitude desert region
resembles Tibet much more than the hot Indian plains.

But before we would make it to the top of the world we had to drive there. First in a bus which was fine but then in a jeep which would prove to be the wrong mode of transport for me.

I would experience some physical challenges which a little overworked jetset manager normally does not have to bother too much: Bumpy dirt tracks at above 5300m in a jeep.

As can be imagined this was not always pleasent. For those of you considering a trip there: Never sit in the back ;-)
I begged from time to time to get onto a proper cycle saddle. Sadly this option was not on the menue with the ridiculously short 2 weeks we had.


Now after our marvellous trek and looking at the incredibly beautiful pictures I can assure everyone: It was worth every headache and all the puking top get to the top of the world. And India once more proved to be as incredible as the adverts keep claiming.


Ok that's it for now.

Amiram

No comments: